Thursday, September 13, 2012

Smile and a Tutorial

I have a clean and simple card to share today. I used the new High-rise Alphabet Lowercase Die-namics from My Favorite Things to create a graphic, colourful, one-layer card.


As you can see, I cut out the word "smile" from the white Sweet Tooth card stock and used the negative cut as my card front. When I was trying to decide what colour to use for the letters on the inside, I thought about rainbows. They always make me smile so I went with a rainbow theme. Then I added the diamond detail along the left side using the Distressed Diamonds and the following colours of Versamagic ink: Mango Madness, Thatched Straw, Tea Leaves, Turquoise Gem and Purple Hydrangea.


Here's how I created the cut out word:

First I used a small metal file to file off the tiny tabs that attach the letters together. This step isn't necessary, but it ensures clean lines around your letters.

Next I drew a light pencil line along the bottom of the card and lined up my letter, cutting edge down.

Then I used some low tack tape to hold the letters in place on my card stock and ran the piece through my Vagabond.

Here's the cut card stock with the white letters still in place. I didn't end up using the white letters so I saved them for another project.

Then I used the same letters to cut out the following card stock colours: Grape Jelly, Blue Raspberry, Sour Apple, Lemon Drop and Orange Fizz.

To ensure the letters line up properly with the cut outs, simply fold the card base and use the negative space as a guide for adhering the coloured letters. Then presto...you've also decorated the inside of your card! :-)

Here are the Die-namics I used:


Pin It

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

11 comments:

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

this is so great! Love how you used the alpha's, I am definitely going to try this, thanks for the tutorial!

RedGem said...

What a wonderful technique to use up all those scraps of cardstock lying around. Tks for sharing your creativity. I will definitely have to try this!

Michele Boyer said...

That is VERY cool. :)

Tara Godfrey said...

WOW! That looks AWESOME! Thanks SO much for showing how to do this, Karen!
Hugs,t

Lisa H. said...

KAREN!! this is awesome. what a beautiful card and a fabulous idea for those Die-namics.

Leslie said...

This is SO fabulous - I need to make one of these for Denise!! Love the diamond "rainbow" and the bright colours and thanks for the tutorial 'cause you know I'm a "visual" gal!! :)

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Karen! Thanks for the tutorial!

conil said...

Awesome cards. Perfect colors and clever way of insuring those letters are placed accurately.

wendy said...

Oh my WORD!!!! this is amazing...love the rainbow colors and that technique...GASP....thanks for the tutorial :)

Tanya said...

Oh my heck...love this idea! I just got the alpabet die set over the weekend, gonna have to give this a try! Thank-you for sharing!

Dawn Easton said...

eek! I TOTALLY love this Karen!!!